- For Ember™ Sport Users
- Measure respiration rate (RR) and pleth variability index (PVI) – both using Masimo SET® Technology
Learn more about your respiration rate and how it changes over time. It’s a great addition for those new to training, wanting an easy way to track and trend your fitness progress over time. Now you can see how your respiration rate change together with your hemoglobin and pulse rates to give you a better picture of your overall fitness.
Respiration rate (RR)
The number of breaths you take per minute. Ember’s measurement range is 4 to 70 breaths or respiration per minute (rpm).
This is a key indicator for assessing an athlete’s conditioning. Tracking and trending your respiration rate may help gather insights into how your training is improving your fitness
Pleth Variability Index
PVI is the variation in perfusion index over your breathing cycle. Changes in PVI may indicate changes in hydration, breathing effort, perfusion, or other factors.¹׳²³* Ember’s measurement range is 0 to 100%.
This measurement may help indicate the body's hydration and/or breathing effort.
* It is suggested to establish your baseline PVI by measuring it over several days, at the same time, in the same body position, at the same breathing rate and depth of breathing. An ideal time to measure PVI is in the morning before you get out of bed. An increase in PVI compared to your baseline PVI may indicate increased dehydration, increased breathing effort, or other factors. A decrease in PVI compared to your baseline PVI value may indicate greater levels of hydration, decreased breathing effort, or other factors. Multiple factors other than hydration and breathing effort can affect PVI, including breathing rate, depth of breathing, body position, body movement, vascular tone, blood flow to the finger, and cardiovascular abnormalities.
¹Schooljans A et al. Acta Anaesth Belg. 2010 (61), 147-150.
²Mathews D et al. ASA 2014. A1124.
³Perel A. Anesth Analg. 2014 Dec;119(6):1288-92.
Requirements to operate:
- An upgrade code, which will be emailed upon purchase of the bundle
- iPhone, iPod, or iPad running iOS 8.2 or newer
- Free Ember by Cercacor app
- Ember Sport